Wednesday, January 04, 2006

walls closing in

I need to do some traveling, some hardcore take-to-the-road-explore-new-lands traveling.  Doesn’t necessarily have to be international or anything, I think I just need to see some mountains.  When your life just becomes work, trains, buildings, computers, you lose a certain sense of the world, granted I go flying as much as I can and I gain my perspective from that, but I need to see some new places. 

On my desk at work I have a glass globe.  Its about 4, maybe 5 inches in diameter, sits on a glass block, has all the continents etched onto it as well as longitude lines.  Looking at it, I can see all the places ive been, and all the places I intimately know in the world.  Its not much, about the size of a pencil eraser.  Ive spent time in Chicago, Vermont, new Hampshire, Washington dc, Minnesota, florida, Wisconsin, and of course Japan.  Stopped briefy in Albany, Michigan, Atlanta, Edmonton, Canada, Virginia, Delaware, new jersey, Pennsylvania.  As far as intimately known places, I can get around Manhattan without using a map, grew up in RI, and have been in Boston for 6 years now.  That’s it.  I suppose you cant really know too many places that well in your lifetime, I mean really know…understand the people, the way things work, know where the cops hide on the side of the road, where you can find a place to eat at 3am, realllly know, and that’s alright.  I suppose I just haven’t even been introduced to all that much.  I would say I have seen 1% of the world, most of which I saw on the plane to Tokyo.

I haven’t been to Europe yet, which is incredible in my estimation.  I know someone that’s over there right now and I am insanely jealous of the experience she is getting.  Meanwhile im looking out a window, the same window I looked out of yesterday, looking at the same building, with the same person in the same window looking right back at me.  Woof.  If I had a plane, I would myself right out to California right now, stopping along the way and just meeting the world on the way, saying hello as it passed under wings.  How are you today?  Pleasure to meet you finally.  Anything I can do for you? 

Urban claustrophobia is setting in my friends, its time to take advantage of my wings.         


 

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I am really glad I stumbled on your blog because that is one hell of a great story.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home