Saturday, April 11, 2009

Insight

I'm typically not one for metaphors or trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I came up a with  neat idea the other day.  

I was talking to a friend of mine about the dating process.  I compared it to an impressionist painting.  I cant imagine I'm the first to do so, nor do I completely discount the idea that this was from a  movie but I couldnt tell you which one.  You go to an art museum and go find one of said paintings.  Let's use one that everyone knows, Starry Night by Van Gogh.  You see it from a distance and you can take in the whole picture.  You can see the flow of the stars across the sky, the foreground with the little town and so on.  From a distance, it is beautiful and as perfect as can be.  Now go up close.  Now you can see the brushstrokes and the genius really becomes apparent.  You can see the way it was created, how one stroke created a house, or a star.  Each individual stroke goes together to make up the whole picture, none more important than the next.  

How is this like dating?  When you meet someone you are seeing the painting from a distance.  It's only after you get up close that you get to see the details and the genius of how it is all put together, the brushstrokes.  

I took it one step further, or at least off in a different direction.   Yeah, I know but hear me out.  There are two great passions in my life at the moment.  One has been around for years and the other one is just emerging.  I love to fly more than anything, but I'm also getting addicted to the outdoors and mountaineering.  How can these two things exist in me?  I figure that they complement each other perfectly.  Flying: get to see the world from a distance, get to see the patchwork patter of farmlands, the way rivers carve out the land and the urban sprawl has to surrender to nature eventually.  What you cant see are the individual brushstrokes.  Thats what hiking gives me a chance to see.  It's all very fun.   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home