Saturday, April 11, 2009

Busy Summer Shapes Up

I'm putting myself on a rather busy summer schedule. Keep in mind that last summer work drove me so nuts that I lost somewhere between 15 and 20 lbs just from being stressed to the 9's.  My goals for the summer are actually pretty simple.  

1) Maintain my sanity
2) Fly as much as possible
3) Get very in shape
4) Get more experience in the mountains

The first one I think I'm pretty well on top of.  As I mentioned, last summer was not good for me because of work.  My attitude towards work has shifted over the last two months or so.  I'm much more up front, much more no BS, much more take charge.  The work is no less stressful but I've become an expert at spinning plates...lots of them at the same time.  

The second one is flying.  I cant overstate my love of flying as you all know or just how bad I want to be the best acro guy up this way.  So, there is a hefty schedule of critique sessions planned with the local IAC chapter and I hope to make to many if not all of them.  Those, combined with either flyable mornings or evenings and I should be getting up pretty often.  I try to do at least one thing each day to get me closer to the goal.  Whether its flying or scheduling a lesson or even going to gym, every little bit counts.  The first contest is in July.  Wish me luck.  

All this requires that I get very in shape.  Acro is tough on your body and the better in shape you are the more attention you can pay to the task at hand as opposed to the "ouch" factor."  I've been hitting the gym again, 3 - 4 times a week and as soon as my body says its okay, I'll be kicking it up a little further.  Figuring out the right program is a little tricky those because....

I also want to go scale big mountains.  Rainier, Denali...Everest one day?  I figure with some decent time spent up in NH I could go do Rainier with RMI out of Washington.  I've never been on a glacier.  Never had to do an ice arrest with an ice axe.  Never actually even walked around with an ice axe.  So. I've got a long ways to go.  The unfortunate side of this is that it is all very pricey and all my $$$ is dedicated to flying, so I need to figure that side of things out.  I can do much of the conditioning down here with a little creativity, but I've got to get out in the hills as much as I can...without losing sight of the flying side of things.  

This all begs the question, does dedication rule out moderation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home